Apr 17, 2019 | News
How to keep yourself and your business safe. With the ever increasing risk of being target by cyber criminals, it’s important to take steps to protect yourself and your business.
With the ever increasing risk of being target by cyber criminals, it’s important to take steps to protect yourself and your business. Beaufort Major, the security specialists, advise taking the following steps:
- Passwords should be complex, changed regularly (especially when employees leave) and extra care taken for bank and email accounts.
- Anti-virus software should be installed on all devices. Keep software up to date as soon as developers make updates available.
- Don’t open any emails or attachments that you were not expecting.
- Keep confidential data out of sight. Everyone has a smartphone that can quickly capture private information in passing.
- Shred any confidential documents that are no longer in use.
- Beware of phishing and vishing scams. Key things to look out for are: email addresses not looking right when you hover over the sender’s name, grammar and English may be poor and any instructions to open a link or attachment. Delete these emails and call the sender directly.
- Turn devices like Siri, Amazon Alexa and Google Home off when not in use. These devices are listening, recording and vulnerable to hacking so its worth being wary.