Sep 11, 2019 | News
Protecting yourself from fraudulent attacks
Our partners at Weatherbys Private Bank recently hosted a breakfast meeting for clients to hear from the experts at Schillings about how to avoid becoming yet another national fraud statistic.
Top tips to prevent fraud include:
- Passwords should be complex, using three random words changed regularly, especially when employees leave. Extra care should be taken for bank and email accounts.
- Anti-virus software should be installed on all devices and software should be kept up to date as soon as the developers make updates available.
- Don't open any attachments you are not expecting.
- Keep confidential data out of sight. Everyone has a smartphone camera today that can quickly capture private information in passing.
- Shred any confidential documents after use.
- Beware of phishing scams. Unlike common spam, a phishing email is after personal details and disguised to look like a real email. Key things to look out for include;
- The sender's email address won't look right: hover over the sender's name to reveal the real email address.
- The grammar and English may be poor.
- They may want you to click on a link or open a file.
- They often create a false sense of urgency.
- Delete any emails that are suspicious or call the sender directly.
- Don't access your bank or personal information using free Wi-Fi as this is not secure.
Watch the full video of the event below to find out more.