Oct 14, 2020 | News
Useful information for farm and estate owners
Important Covid-19 links and tips on preventing fires, theft of GPS systems and enhancing security for farms and estates
Useful Covid-19 links to relevant websites for farmers and estate owners:
- Coronavirus (Covid-19): information for farmers, landowners and rural businesses
- Coronavirus (Covid-19): working safely
Measures to prevent the theft of tractor GPS systems:
- Record machinery serial numbers and photograph equipment to enable police to identify stolen items, thus assisting in recovery.
- Mark your postcode on GPS equipment either with a UV pen, engraving or forensic marking.
- Whenever possible remove GPS guidance receivers, aerials and globes from tractors when they are not in use and store machinery in locked buildings.
- If locked storage is not possible, secure the equipment with security tethers or alarms.
Measures to prevent fires on farms and enhance security
- Limit the size of straw & haystacks in order to reduce large losses (some insurers put limits on stack sizes) and spread the stacks around the farm if possible.
- Whenever possible use good locks on gates to prevent unwanted yard and field access.
- Remove keys when vehicles are not in use. Use lock down devices to secure quad bikes.
- Use local WhatsApp groups for immediate updates on suspicious activity and form relationships with local rural police teams.